Thursday, February 3, 2011

Caffeine Injection, Anyone?

While I enjoy the aroma of coffee brewing in the morning, I must not lie and say that I solely drink my cup of joe for its delicious hazelnutty flavor. Without my morning (and often afternoon as well) dose of caffeine, I do believe I would be back in bed by six or seven every night. Lately, I've  felt as if I would instantly fall back into a deep slumber if I let my eyes shut, even after my usual two cups. So, even the strongest of brews cannot overcome a complete lack of sleep. Over time, the body will take over and ignore the chemicals we try to control it with. For now, I will leave you a list of good reasons to go without sleep. Although I do recommend a day or two of recovery for every sleepless night.

Climbing the silo. If you don't know what this means, either you have never lived in Tuscaloosa or you just didn't know the right people when you did. I won't try to fully explain this statement, just know you are missing out on an interesting climb and a great view of the city.

Riding bikes before sunrise. In my formative years, I broke the occasional rule or two (sorry Mom!), and one night my friend and I were both still awake at four in the morning, with no signs of sleepiness. So what did we do? Naturally we rode bikes around the neighborhood for an hour or so. Though this may sound boring or silly, there is nothing better than the feeling that no one else is outside. It's like you have the whole world to yourself.

Watching the sunrise. Ok, so I've never stayed up with the intention of seeing the sun's rays peek up from the horizon. But I have unintentionally been up until that magical hour, when the whole world seems to go from black to misty gray to different shades of pastels until finally it looks like daytime. You may think, why bother with the late night when I could just watch a sunset? Well, my friend, then you are sadly mistake because the two look drastically different and watching the world light up can change the way you see it every day.

Conversation. You know those people you feel like you could talk to all day and still not run out of things to say? Well they are the best company on late night adventures, but no adventure is necessary to have a great conversation that keeps you out of bed. I can't even begin to count the number of times the B.R.E. and I have stayed up much later than we intended just because we were engrossed in a new song we heard or something we had learned that day or maybe we were just laughing at our own weirdness. It's these moments we won't forget when we've lost all recollection of that 8 a.m. lit class.

Off to find some much needed slumber,
Becks

1 comment:

  1. I agree with everything on here, with the notable and violent exception of climbing the silo. Never, ever, is there a good excuse for sheer heights. However, a coffee fueled bike-ride as the sun comes up is about as close to nirvana as you can get... If only Kurt Cobain would've read your blog...

    ReplyDelete