Monday, July 25, 2011

My Kind of Town

Only a week ago, I was in the great city of Chicago attending the Pitchfork Music Festival. I just looked through the pictures from the trip a few minutes ago, and almost cannot believe it actually happened. Every moment of the trip was beautiful. And I would like to share some highlights.

Our new friend Dave. If you looked up 'hospitable' in the dictionary, or I guess these days I should say if you googled it, you should find a picture of this kind soul. We stayed with Dave, a student at Northwestern  and someone we had not previously met, for part of our trip and he was so welcoming! He provided us with delicious breakfast, washed his sheets, gave up his room for me, treated us to deep-dish pizza, and showed us the great view of the city from the shore of Lake Michigan bordering campus! I could not have imagined a nicer, more accommodating person to stay with.

Millenium Park. Our one outing besides the festival was a trip to Millenium Park. We ate at the outdoor restaurant (if you ever go try the raspberry tea, I do not normally like tea and it was delicious!), took pictures by the bean, walked through the garden area, and made a stop at the Crown Fountain. It was just a small taste of the city that has me wanting to return and see more!

People watching. At the festival, we saw people of every age, size, hair color, etc. I have never seen a greater mix of people in my life! And hipster children are adorable! People watching may be one of my favorite hobbies, and this may have been THE prime location for it.

The music. Of course, being there for a music festival, I enjoyed many artist's performances. My personal favorites were
     tUnE-yArDs- This girl does not sound like a girl. She has a great sound, almost tribal, and was so fun to watch live! They passed out face paint before she started playing, giving the audience more of an incentive to enjoy the show.
     James Blake- The amount of bass used during his performance was INSANE. I felt like I was in another world. He is an adorable British guy, with a beautiful voice.
     Fleet Foxes- One of my favorite folky groups, they have incredible skill when it comes to harmonizing.
     How to Dress Well- Tom Krell. We actually met him on Saturday! His performance was wonderful, full of emotion, I'm not going to lie I teared up a few times. He has an amazing voice that is highlighted much better on his new EP than his album Love Remains.
     Cut Copy- Hands down, THE most fun of everyone we saw. Which leads me to my next highlight...
   
Dancing. I love dancing, probably more than any other activity. It's fun, freeing, and almost magical somehow. You can just feel the music and lose track of everything else around you. And I got to dance quite a bit at Pitchfork! Cut Copy was the most dancey, with Gang Gang Dance being a close second.

All in all, I had an amazing time in Chicago! I want to return someday, to the city and the festival. Both are well worth more exploring.

No comments:

Post a Comment